Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Welcome to My World

I am the youngest of four girls in a family very far away from any cousins, uncles, or grandfathers so my dad was the only male I really knew. Of course I had boys in my class in school, but I was never really friends with any of them until high school. Until my senior year, I was not close friends with any guys.

Now I find myself completely surrounded by them.

It was an interesting adjustment in the beginning. When I moved in with my sister, Laura, and her male roommate, I was not 100% sure how comfortable I would be but when I realized that he was girlier than I was and a hermit, there was little adjusting required. Since I did not know anybody besides Laura, she was kind enough to take me with her when she was hanging out with her friends... who were mostly guys. At one point I knew more guys in Kearney than girls. Actually, that still maybe true.

Thankfully, I had Laura and my bestie, Jessi, along to ease the way. When Laura moved to Wyoming and Jessi moved to Lincoln, they left me feeling like Jane Goodall surrounded by gorillas in the jungle.

I still feel like that some days, but I'm beginning to understand them better. I mimic picking fleas and eating leaves so they don't know that I don't belong and I laugh when they get confused by some girly thing I do. Even with all of this, I feel like I belong more with these smelly, disgusting, funny, pigs of men than with most others of my sex.

I'm just a girl in a jungle, navigating through uncharted territory and enjoying the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment