Thursday, February 16, 2012

Old Codgers

Just throwing this out there... Old Codgers love me.... and I love them.

For those of you who don't know what an Old Codger is, I will enlighten you. An Old Codger is an old man who usually has more than three of the following qualities: a) grumpy most of the time, b) a dirty old man, c) a story-telling old man, d) a great sense of humor, e) a wealth of information, f) dry wit, g) loud.

Working at a "guy store" with a bunch of guys, working in a predominatly male department (one other girl), I work with my fair share of Old Codgers... and I love every minute of it. They tease me, they answer my questions, they have the best dirty jokes, and more than a few of them treat me like a daughter. They make fun of women just to get a rise out of me but are more than happy to help me when I ask. They defend me when its needed but are more than willing to poke fun of me when they get the chance. We even spend some of our free time at work trading innuendos and quips naughty enough to make a hooker blush.

For example, I just heard this one last night: "Let's make like our butcher shop is on fire......... Grab our meat and beat it!"

(There are some men out there who would qualify as an Old Codger, but are uber creepy. In my book, the creepiness factor cancels out the Old Codger title and puts them into the "creepy old man" catagory. I am not a fan of the creepy old man, many of whom I deal with on a regular basis.)

How many 25 year old girls in this day in age, have a goal of drinking a few beers and hanging out with coworkers over twice her age?

Probably not many, but most of them don't have the appreciation and affection for Old Codgers that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment